• The Lone Ranger, Tonto and White Guilt ...







    Just went and saw The Lone Ranger 2013. I saw it. It was very funny and did not feel like two and a half hours. Go see it. I laughed the whole way through and well worth my $9. Here's a film that has gotten a bad rap, because of people's absurd and out-of-control political behavior and schizophrenic breakdown about White vs. Non-White.

    If I hear another person say: "The reason why the Lone Ranger wears a mask is because he's guilty about being white," -- I'm going to slap them, hard, and not because the bird on my head is upset by it. 


    In the film, the reason why he wears the mask is very clearly defined and is worn for the same reason a masked man wears a mask, like Batman, or Spiderman or even Superman, does -- in every other movie or film about a superhero. Confusing that, intentionally, is incredibly sad and just feeds into a group of people who are trying to be as negative as they can about everything they see.

    And really? People are uncomfortable about *actual history* represented in a Disney film? First of all -- it's a Disney Film. Second, have we sunk to such lows now that presenting "Manifest Destiny" as a backdrop in a film, and the historical reminder of that, however far removed in time, angers asshats on one side of the political spectrum because they feel it as an attack? Wow, did you just forget about American History for the entirety of your adult life -- and now re-informed -- you have to have a fit and whine all over Conservative media?

    I have family that worked on the railroads. I'm Irish. I had family that worked -- for -- the railroads, going back several generations. I have absolutely no guilty feelings at all about what ** I ** have done, because ** I ** have always done my best to be good to people and not marginalize large groups of folks, or try to discount their struggle because it is either inconvenient to me or uncomfortable. That's life. It happens. 'White privilege' is a reality. Address it in your heart and move on. Even Louis C.K. speaks on it justly.

    I used to wonder why their was ever a need for Holocaust Museums, Auschwitz, and other historical atrocities preserved. Like, how could someone ever forget about Nazi Germany, Hitler and Heinrich Himmler? Did they not read any William L. Shirer growing up? Does that name NOT ring a bell? How could you have missed that book, if so? Or is it just a pattern of education in history in your life?

    But now I get it. Some people will struggle hard not to remember basic historical realities, and it makes me wonder why someone alive today would feel the pain of that, a hundred and fifty years later -- unless they, too, still harbor those same persecuting and condescending beliefs that folks represented as the 'bad guy' in films and TV did, so long ago. If that's you. I feel bad for you.

    If these things bother you -- then you need to search your heart and probably cleanse your soul. Maybe burning some sage around yourself for awhile would be a good place to start.

    I wrote last week about being an Irish Catholic, and how I felt Christians getting upset about the ridiculous notion of Depp representing Native American Spirituality as a bad thing, and that "he should've been a Christian Missionary" -- as completely effing absurd and ludicrous. I still agree with that sentiment after seeing the film. Completely.

    If you interpret American History as "White Guilt" you seriously need to go back to school because you've clearly been away -- far away --for way too long.

    "Don't ever do that again!" -- Tonto.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment