• Exit ...



    One of the more heartbreaking things about writing is often the research. After having been plodding away at a book that takes place in winter in Alaska, in the early nineties, I’ve finally discovered the answer why I had a hard time finding photos of the UAA Consortium Library. Well, they went and built a new one. That simple.

    I really didn’t want to look at the new photos from fear of losing my mental images that I’ve carefully held all these years. Ever been on Facebook? Ever have an image of a childhood friend burned into your memory – until the moment you see them once again, all grown up and then all those mental images of their face quickly evaporate into nothing? I was hoping to avoid that. The devil, a lot of the times is in the details and now there’s going to be a conflict. But in truth, I shouldn’t stress myself over it. It’s a minor thing to be addressed later. But it is a problem. I’m remarking on it now, as a sort of road sign for myself later to come back to. This blog is also the weaving of my mental thoughts-cum-diary, so have patience if everything isn’t crystal clear. It makes perfect sense to me.

    But, to the main … I have some very fond memories of working at the Consortium Library, and obviously I’ll save the stories for the book, but it was my first job after leaving the military and my experience there with some of the people, specifically one or two of the librarians and other personal, had a remarkable impact on my life and probably redirected the course of specific events in some subtle ways and one very obvious way.

    I had been neglectant to write this book for awhile for a few reasons. However, I’m already well into it, so it’s bound to be done at some point. But in truth, I have been slacking. Some of the people I worked with were ‘Gold’, to quote S.E. Hinton, while a few of them, or rather a small handful of them where condescending assholes. Don’t worry, faculty. I’ve distilled all those people down to one or two characters in the book for the sake of story. But in total, my experiences on the job were positive and very rewarding. Is it interesting enough material for this book, you ask? Yes, it is. I do all kinds of things like fall in love, feel isolated (surprise), form bonds with all the wrong people, maintain old friendships, escape death, face death three times, become ‘somewhat’ enlightened. I say ‘somewhat’ because I’m looking back on it now, and it seemed huge at the time, but I know now that it wasn’t, LOL. I was just a lucky so-and-so.

    There’s also a few other issues that I alluded to in a previous post, specifically regarding some content – all I can say is ‘buyer beware’. I’m sure I’m not the first person to scribble out something crap and mundane like this. The goal though will be not to have it read like crap and mundane, even though everything about it is. Confused yet? Yeah, me, too. Don’t worry, I have the tiger by the tail on this one.

    Stephen King once said that every story is written with a specific ‘reader’ in mind, concerning the author. As I write this I can think of several people vividly that this book is being written for and with every twist and turn I think, “yeah … they’ll like this,” or “this should make them laugh.” Hopefully, I won’t rock the boats that have been moored upon still docks for decades. No one living will be mishandled. No one dead will be minimized though, either.

    Theme song to follow:

    Weezer -- The Sweater Song

    ...




    1 comments:

    1. Anonymous4:56 AM

      great blog, Steffan. I relate to much in here. Except the escaping death part. Thank goodness, I've led a quiet life.

      gae

      ReplyDelete