• Greyhound mentioned by Penguin Books ...



    Well, I don't know what it all means or what to make of it, but earlier today Penguin posted a five minute video of editor's responses on the ABNA main page, located here. In this short video, Greyhound is mentioned numerous times and it's mostly all good.

    At first, when I saw it, I thought it was the death kiss as I often will turn inward and go dark when I don't know the answers. Such is the way I've been conditioned. Maybe they were hinting about the finalists with this video, maybe not. It was a surreal moment on anotherwise slow news day. But I did panic initially and seeing the video was heartbreaking. I knew that I hadn't recieved the 'phone call' that apparently went out on May 6th, as per the rules, to give advance warning to the finalists. So knowing that I wasn't advancing and seeing them speak so fondly of my book -- only hurt.

    Now that I'm sitting here watching the last minutes of the day slip away, I'm starting to think that maybe the video is a good thing. Just getting that kind of mention, even if I don't win, is a lot and I should be both gracious (first) and happy. Again, this is the way I have conditioned myself to respond, even if it takes me a handful of hours to come around.

    Soon the contest will be over, we'll all know what's next and I can only hope that my book finds a home. I even queried an agent in the middle of the night last night. Maybe it was the tylenol w/codeine tablets I took for my root canal pain that pushed me into doing it, I don't know. When it comes to meds, I'm a lightweight and probably prone to 'bad moves' to paraphrase our good friend, Slartibartfast.

    I woke up to find that guy wasn't interested at all. This from a guy who says he'll read anything. I had posted a few times on his website that I disagreed with him, was polite and reminded him that he dropped the ball on one of my other books. I guess he'll read anything, just as long as all your answers are all 'yes' or 'you're so wonderful'. Completely sober, I would've never emailed him to begin with. But I often do silly things in the middle of the night anyways. They should hack my Amazon account. Steve Jobs's purchases have nothing on my purchase history. Late night shopping is addictive.

    I'll just say this though. Some people are lucky in life and capable of parlaying what they have into much greater endevours. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Some of us though, it just doesn't work that way. Someone has to physically life us up out of our hole, because no matter how hard we struggle we'll never be able to do it alone. Thus it is with my life and thus it will probably be with my books. Maybe one day I'll get a call with someone on the other end interested in either representing me or publishing my book, but until that time comes, I'll just try to 'hold fast' to the mooring, lest I get swept away.

    All the best everyone. Hopefully tomorrow will bring good news ...

    Steffan



    2 comments:

    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I just saw your post but you removed it before I had a chance to comment, but the answer to your question is 'yes'. Same fellow.

      I do wish you all the best and many thanks for your kind remarks. I felt perplexed about the video myself. Maybe I won 'Miss Congeniality' and they just didn't bother to mention it to me. Perhaps I should go buy a pink dress or something. Alas ...

      ReplyDelete