• A nod to my Greyhound readers ...


    I just wanted to give thanks to everyone that read Greyhound and participated with the editing and the feedback. A few of you asked about all the songs listed in the book and if I was listening to them at the time and what other music I had dialed in.

    Below is a list of songs that I probably overdosed on without doubt, but are all great none the less. The following video though, would be the theme if it had one.

    ****



    ****

    Greyhound Song list:

    The Air that I breathe – k.d. lang
    Planet Caravan – Black Sabbath
    Nightshift - The Commodores

    What's Going On? – Marvin Gaye
    Save The Children – Marvin Gaye
    What's Happening Brother? – Marvin Gaye
    Inner City Blues - Marvin Gaye

    Opus 70. No. 1 (Ghost) Largo -- LVB
    I Miss You – Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
    Every time You Go Away – Hall & Oates
    Trouble - Cat Stevens

    One of These Nights - The Eagles
    Under My Thumb – The Rolling Stones
    Peaceful, Easy Feeling - The Eagles

    I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) -- Hall & Oates
    Taxi (Take Me To The Other Side Of Town) -- ZZ Hill
    Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Ole Oak Tree -- Tony Orlando & Dawn

    Family Affair – Sly & The Family Stone
    Trouble – Cat Stevens
    One of these Nights – The Eagles

    Sara Smile – Hall & Oates
    Where Do The Children Play? – Cat Stevens
    Goldberg Variations, BWV 988, Aria – Bach

    Bird On A Wire – Leonard Cohen
    The Stranger – Leonard Cohen
    Moonshadow – Cat Stevens

    (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below – Curtis Mayfield
    Inner City Blues – Marvin Gaye
    Drive All Night – Bruce Springsteen

    Lady Jane – The Rolling Stones
    Wild Horses – The Rolling Stones
    Nights In White Satin (w/Late Lament) – The Moody Blues

    The Boys Are Back In Town – Thin Lizzy
    Calling All Angels – k.d. lang
    Move On Up – Curtis Mayfield

    Mother's Little Helper – The Rolling Stones
    Emotional Rescue – The Rolling Stones
    Acrobat - U2

    The Wind – Cat Stevens
    Where The Streets Have No Name - U2
    Love Is Blindness - U2

    I Am, I said - Neil Diamond
    When I Was Young - Eric Burden & The Animals

    Stabat Mater (14th - 24th Movement) - Antonio Vivaldo

    Thanks, everybody ...

    3 comments:

    1. Giani7:41 PM

      No Personal Jesus? In the future do you suppose hearing this list will transport you to the writing or will the writing replay this song list for you indefinitely? Either way thank you for sharing what played as the soundtrack while you kept riding the Greyhound! Giani

      p.s. did you play Nightshift to reflect on the Marvin Gaye numbers or was that purely coincidental?

      ReplyDelete
    2. A lot of the journey on the bus occurs at night and 'Nightshift' was one of those songs way back when (during the same era of when the story takes place - as do most of the songs) that stood out and spoke about something very specific and, most obviously, it also spoke of Marvin.

      Regarding Marvin Gaye, I'll just say that most of my life has been very much shaped by music (as you may already know) and was always very important to me. When I heard about Marvin Gaye's death, I was incredibly troubled by it not just because of the nature of 'how' he died, but because of the relationships that he made that failed him, the death of Tammi Terrell and the isolation that he felt inwardly. I think a lot of us have been there without doubt. To quote another hero's eulogy: 'It is the finest blades that are most easily bent, broken or blunted.'

      I probably took Marvin Gaye's death a little too hard for quite some time and thus his life and his contribution became indelible on me. I spent many many nights listening to Marvin's 'What's Goin On?' wondering just where the hell I was headed.

      The main character in 'Greyhound' is 'Marcus', but I could've very easily drafted Marvin Gaye into his stead without any extra effort. In 1981 Marvin Gaye was living as a homeless man in a dilapidated van in Hawaii, parked beach side and shunning his fame and in a great deal of emotional pain.

      While writing this book, I returned to all my thoughts about Marvin and also a lot of his old LP's, CD's and cassette tapes.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I, too, remember learning of his death from overhearing my parents talking about it. I was young at the time and didn't understand the impact. My parents winced through hearing the news and then the entire room felt like everyone collectively had a little less air between them to breathe.

      I heard words like, "senseless" and "shameful" and "unnecessary" smeared with, "just too soon."

      Does the insecurity of some artists allow them to ever fully digest how their work reshapes us? Do they feel the gravity; whether they think they deserve it or not, of how many people stand with ears cupped to their walls as their art’s imprint is forever made on us?

      It seems ironic that they wish to reach so many with their art and yet some sit tied to an overload of admiration while simultaneously feeling entirely alone. They think they only shine when they are “giving” us a piece of their art but the gift of their art transcends them and us. It is as if they are releasing something that burns from within them and as we listen to that song over and over we become just as feverish about drinking it in. We really do depend on each other that way and that is intimacy in its most basic form.

      I think there is a reason for the groupies of the world to try at any cost to achieve intimacy with their heroes. I feel that same intimacy when hearing certain songs that is really intense.



      My daughter said, “What is your favorite song?” I tried to give her an answer because she had a very black and white expectancy to the speediness of my response. I told her that I really couldn’t answer that because I have too many favorites. She asked why since “a favorite is usually just one of something.” I told her that while I couldn’t answer her with just one favorite song, I wanted her to know that I am certain I couldn’t live without music in my life.

      I think if they only knew that what they had created has been and will always be the IV in my arm that helps me plug in and quiets my thoughts. It is definitely a dependency or perhaps a codependency as their “# 1 fan!”

      Steffan, I cannot wait to read the book and my hope is that you are finding AND receiving support for the book that you need and absolutely deserve. Giani

      ReplyDelete